INTERESTED IN BECOMING AN EGG DONOR ?
EGG DONATION: IS IT RIGHT FOR YOU?
Egg Donors have been helping build families for over 3 decades! At My Donor Connection, we have been working with all sorts of couples: couples who cannot conceive on their own due to infertility, cancer treatments, same sex male couples - infertility does not discriminate. You are giving them a chance to build their family. I hope you realize how amazing you are - just for considering being a part of their journey.
We are always looking for extraordinary young women to join our network. We would be happy to set up time with a member of our team to go through the process and address any questions or concerns you may have about donating.
INTERESTED IN BECOMING AN EGG DONOR?
- You must be between the ages of 20-30
- You should have a Healthy Family Genetic History, be a non-smoker, and have no history of drug or alcohol abuse.
- Have a healthy BMI between 18- 26
- You must live in the United States
- Certain cycles require travel – in which case you need to have flexibility with work or school as the travel can take anywhere from 5-10 days for the retrieval week
- Donors must not currently be on the Depo Provera shot
- You must be responsible and honest
It is important to research egg donation so that you are knowledgeable about the process before you apply. To help give you an idea of what a potential cycle may look like, we have provided a breakdown of the process. While particulars may vary slightly depending on the protocol designed by the recipient’s clinic, the overall process is very similar. On average a donor cycle ranges from 2-4 months.
- Your online application will be sent to a member of our staff who will review your qualifications. Selected candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview and we will address any questions you may about the donation process.
- Complete necessary paperwork needed to activate your donor profile on the network.
- Once an intended parent has identified you as a potential donor, we will contact you directly with specific details of the pending match to make sure that the location and time frame of the cycle is feasible with your schedule.
- Before you are approved as the intended parents donor, you will be required to undergo psychological and medical testing. This testing is important as it demonstrates that you will be a good candidate to donate eggs.
- You will be provided with legal representation to guide you through the donation process prior to entering into an agreement with the intended parents.
- Once you have cleared the necessary screening process, you will be put on oral contraceptives to help regulate your menstrual cycle and to synchronize it with the recipient. During the third week of your cycle, you will start injectable medications for approximately 2-3 weeks until the retrieval process.
- Monitoring appointments will likely be at a clinic local to the donor. The appointments should take place first thing in the morning, so that results can be recorded with the ordering physician. These appointments are 15- 30 minutes in length and typically involve a blood draw and ultrasound.
- Travel to the recipient’s clinic occurs during the final days of monitoring leading up to the retrieval. Plan on anywhere from 5-10 days for this trip. The physician will give you instructions for taking your final shot approximately 36 hours prior to the retrieval.
- You will need a companion with you the day of the retrieval. The procedure takes place while the donor is under light sedation and many donors experience little or no discomfort during the retrieval process.
Once I sign up to be an egg donor, how soon do I start my first cycle?
The matching process varies on the number of parents viewing the database at any given time and whether or not you match the specific characteristics the parents are looking for.
Do I have to travel?
This depends on the location of the recipient’s clinic. If you decide to match with an out of state couple, you will be required to travel on two separate occasions, first for the initial screening appointment which will be an overnight trip and again for the retrieval week which can range from 5-10 days. All travel arrangements will be provided.
Am I compensated for donating eggs?
You will be compensated for your time and commitment to the donation process. An appropriate range for a first time donor is $3,000 to $5,000 while repeat donors may receive a higher compensation.
What side effects will I experience from taking fertility medication?
Many donors go through the process with no side effects; however, some may experience mild mood swings, bloating and abdominal discomfort.
Will donating eggs affect my ability to have children?
Donating your eggs does not appear to decrease your future fertility. Many studies have taken place on the long term health risks for egg donation, but to date, none have produced any finding of long term health risks.
How many times am I allowed to donate?
This varies by clinic. Most clinics will allow donors to complete up to 6 cycles.
What risks are involved in donating eggs?
There are always risks with any medical procedure. The main risk with donating eggs is Ovarian Hyperstimulation. This can range from mild to severe cases; however, it is rare and affects only 1-3% of cases. Every effort will be made by the ordering physician to monitor your stimulation closely to avoid the chance of this happening.
- I understand I must take self administered injections for approximately 2-3 weeks
- I understand I will be required to have approximately 5-10 appointments which consist of blood draws and ultrasounds
- I understand I must wait 12 months to apply after testing positive for an STD to be considered for a cycle (this does not however, disqualify me)
- I understand that I must respond to all communication within 24 hours
- I understand I must not smoke, use illegal drugs and have a healthy BMI between 18- 26
- I understand I must not take depo-provera shots
- I understand that, as an egg donor, I will be required to undergo a medical procedure under light sedation to retrieve my eggs from my ovaries
- I understand the emotional nature of donating to a recipient couple and am committed to be reliable, responsible and honest to help ensure the cycle goes smoothly